02 June 2013

Family and Fun

Oh my goodness.... in case you didn't know, time is still flying by! And here I thought I had pressed the "pause" button, haha. I have attempted to write this entry about four times now. Week before last we had a great visit from Cari and Jason (and Koa too). They made the drive down from Colorado and arrived here Monday evening. I will recap our adventures as briefly as possible. 

On Tuesday we saw the sights around the local area. I learned that "Shop and Dine" Valdosta leaves much to be desired. You would think there was something resembling Old Town in Ft Collins but there is not. We did go into the few little shops and galleries that were open and were greeted by the friendly Southern staff :-) We enjoyed lunch at the "Smokin Pig" which was pretty great and showed Cari and Jason around the base. Cari and I also made our menu for the week - it was so great to have someone to cook with that cooks with the same flavor and enthusiasm that I do!

Wednesday found us headed for Jekyll Island - an awesome place on Georgia's coast. They allow dogs on the beach which is 10 miles long and about 100 yards wide when the tide is out. Koa and Abby had the best time playing in the waves and digging in he sand. We took a cooler of snacks and then made some yummy shrimp scampi when we got home. Thursday we were on the road again, this time without the dogs and headed to Jacksonville, Florida. We had some more great food and got to walk through the outdoor mall, stopping in and looking at Lois Vuitton and Tiffany & Co - some pretty nice stuff (only slightly disappointed that our husbands didn't get us stuff there, haha). 

On Friday we kept it more local and split up - guys day and girls day! The guys went golfing, saw a movie, and who knows what else. Meanwhile, Cari and I got to tour an the old Cresent Mansion in town, ate lunch at "Two Friends" (fantastic food and good business!), got pedicures, and came home to watch chick flicks and do a little baking. All in all a very successful day. We made some smoked chicken (well Brian did) and tried to eat out on the patio until the gnats were to annoying. Saturday we road tripped it to Tifton where we learned that they don't have anything like they advertise either, haha. We did manage to get some pecans, frozen yogurt, and a stop off at Horse Creek Winery on our way back. I could drink their wine slushies all day! Sadly all good things must come to an end. We sent Cari and Jason back to Colorado Sunday morning. Abby was depressed for the next 3 days - wouldn't eat, wouldn't play, nothin' - just laid there looking pathetic. Koa suffered similar feelings we were told - poor puppies missing their cousin!




















This past week saw us back to work, ugh! Cari and Jason found out they're having a baby boy, yay!!! Brian and I checked out Saturday night church yesterday at CrossPoint - good sermon about the wrath of God and how important it is to tell people about that along with His mercy because you can't have one without realizing the other exists. 

There you have it, kind of brief and pretty accurate :-) Life in the South is continuing to heat up and I'm not a fan, haha. At least I'm in good company with Brian, Abby, and the horses. I think we're all already for fall to get here. However, it is currently blueberry season and Georgia is the 3rd largest blueberry producing state. And peach season is upon us as well which means lots and lots of yummy peaches and roadside peach ice cream stands! Ok, I guess I'll survive the summer here. To top it all off, my fitness and diet are going well too. I've lost about 5lbs in 3 weeks and am eager to go jean and short shopping here in another month or so! Brian is continuing to study hard for his Biology class which is coming along nicely; only 2 more classes to go after this one!


No comments:

Post a Comment